Monday, February 9, 2015

BFTPqal - page 63

Hello everyone! We're back with the #BFTPqal - and this week was so much fun!  Machelle from Cherry Tree Cottage used the instructions from the book, and liberty fabrics. I don't really get the fascination with the liberty prints, because they kind of remind me of the eighties... but her blocks are really pretty! The link to that post is {here}.

I only wanted to do the applique block this week, and I had so much fun with it!  I decided to embrace my frailties, and gave up on needle turn applique.  One of the reasons we did this quilt along was to explore modern methods -- and for me, Heat-n-Bond Lite is a modern method I'm more than happy to embrace!  I was trying so hard to make the other methods of applique work (I tried three different ways), but none were giving me a result I really liked.  I will readily admit that I'm a bit of a perfectionist in lots of ways, and I just couldn't commit to a less-than-perfect product. Some might argue that Heat-n-Bond is imperfect, but I can tolerate the intentional fuzzy edges that come from this method way better than having my curves poke out in weird places, and having weird random bits of fraying threads. So, that being said -- here's my block:

Pomegranate block, page 63 

I absolutely love it!  I feel like I stayed true to the original intent of this block, but it has such modern fabrics too.  In fact, I'd even say it has a bit of an Art Deco feel to it -- would you agree?

One part I didn't use the Heat-n-Bond on was the stems.  Since I didn't know how I wanted the stems to lie, I knew I wanted to use some homemade bias tape for this project.  I described my method {here}, and it worked like a charm!  For this block, I used a 5" square, which I liked because it was a little less waste, since I am using different fabrics for all the stems.

And, true to my word, here's the "finished" block from a couple of weeks ago.

Rose Spray block, page 60

I really loved this block so much, as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to make it.  In fact, I requested to do the first week, just because of this block! :)  But I ran into so many problems when I was trying to make it that I got a little discouraged.  I really just needed some time to figure out what to do differently, and once I did, I adhered Heat-n-Bond Lite to the back of my fabrics and went to town. I guess it must be the instant gratification of having it done quick that I like the best!

One more little note... These blocks are adhered to the white background, but not stitched down.  I decided to attach them at the same time I do the quilting, since I'm going to try my hand at some free motion quilting on this project. If you use Heat-n-Bond or something similar, you MUST sew down your applique pieces at some point in your process or the applique will fall off! Typically, I topstitch or zig zag my blocks before I even assemble the quilt top, but in this instance I will do it all in one step at the quilting phase.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blocks, especially the pomegranate ones! It will be very lovely.


I love comments and try to respond to every one. Please let me know if you need clarification on something, want to know something, or especially if you LOVE something!