Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hiatus Is Over - Adoption Quilts

Well, Christmas Break turned into January, which turned into walking pneumonia -- and as a result, it's been a couple of months since I posted.  But I'm feeling much better now (take that, January!), and I've got a plan for posting that I think will be a good one!  My plan is to post every Tuesday and Friday -- I think I can handle twice a week, I'm good with schedules. :)

For now, I'd like to show you some quilts I made for a sweet neighbor friend of mine. She asked me to make a couple of quilts for her cousin who was adopting a baby girl.  She went online and found some really sweet fabric (mostly Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter for Windham Fabrics) and the pattern she wanted me to copy (I would generally purchase the pattern, but couldn't find a one for this quilt anywhere). 
(this is as fancy as I get when wrapping presents -- if I can tie some fabric around it, I call it good!)

This friend is really special to me.  She has a huge, huge heart, and she had the idea that she wanted to make a baby quilt for the new baby, AND a bigger, lap-sized quilt for the birth mom.  What a neat idea!  I played around with some layouts, and this is what we ended up with:
 

Here's a closeup of the quilting.  She just wanted a basic meander, and I'd been practicing, so I was fairly confident I could do it well.  After these two, I'm even more confident, and I think it's safe to say, I LOVE machine quilting! 

 
With the blankies, I included two little homemade cards & envelopes.  I included two so there was one for the birth mom's quilt and one for the baby quilt.  I just love to make these cards!  They're quick and pretty, and lend such a sweet touch to a gift. 

Imagine my surprise when, just a few weeks after I made these quilts, I saw on Instagram that this cute family had a new addition.  They had adopted two other children, and I never questioned my friend's desire to make quilts for her "cousin" -- she fooled me good! I was so excited I didn't even question it until she told me outright!

Would you like to make a quilt like this?  It was so easy and fun!  I'll show you how next week, so stay tuned!  And tomorrow, I'll show how to make these cute little cards.  Once you make a couple, you'll be hooked!  (And probably start saving tiny little pieces of fabric that you would have thrown away, just for this purpose.  #sorrynotsorry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and try to respond to every one. Please let me know if you need clarification on something, want to know something, or especially if you LOVE something!