Thursday, June 11, 2015

#BFTPqal - my extra blocks

I laid out my #BFTPqal quilt on Monday to see how things were coming, and something was just a little off. I originally planned to make a lap-size quilt, but life got busy and I'd only done my required blocks. Three blocks a week is actually really hard to accomplish, especially if you're making 39 apple blocks and a t-shirt quilt and various bags for Teacher Appreciation (which reminds me, I need to blog about the quilt and those bags -- they're so super cute!).

I decided to try laying out the quilt as per Marie Henry's sashing instructions, and this cute little quilt really came to life -- I tried to fight the on-point layout, but in the end, it really worked for what I want to do!

Anyway, so I only had 15 blocks, which isn't enough for much of anything. Luckily, I have a sister-in-law who's about to have a little girl, and the color palette I chose is perfect for a cute little someone! But to complete my layout, I needed three more blocks -- two applique, and one pieced. Here are the blocks I chose:

Page 17 -- Clay's Choice
I really wanted to do this one, because Clay is my Dad's name. Marie Henry has you do half-square triangles, but I really wanted to use a graphic print for the main part, so I just cut four 2" x 3 1/2" rectangles and did stitch-and-flip corner squares in the background print. It was such a fast finish, I love it!

Page 67 - Laurel Spray
This was one of the block I avoided originally, because it's meant to be on point. I think it's really pretty, though, and since I changed my layout it will fit in nicely.

Page 68 - Lyre 
This block was definitely one I didn't want to do originally -- but Baby Girl's mom is super musical, so I thought a nod to her love of music would be nice. The polka dots are Aunt Natalie's contribution. :)

And here's my final layout -- I think it turned out so pretty!
It's definitely even prettier in real life -- up close, and personal. My favorite blocks are probably the applique ones -- I love the top left so so much, and the floral wreath block just under the lyre, and my absolute favorite is probably the one with three flowers on the right-hand side. I might play around a bit more with the layout, and I haven't completely decided what the cornerstones will be (although I've almost decided to make it scrappy), and the setting triangles -- should I keep them "background" colored? or, once again, scrappy? The choices are endless -- but with a niece scheduled to come in the next couple of weeks, I'll be hurrying to make some final decisions! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and try to respond to every one. Please let me know if you need clarification on something, want to know something, or especially if you LOVE something!