Monday, August 25, 2014

Happy Birthday!

Last week was the start of another school year, and for me that means PTA starts up too.  I'm in charge of teacher & staff birthday treats, and they turned out so so cute!

This year I decided to go simple and sweet. What's simpler and sweeter than a giant sugar cookie?  Oh, yeah -- these are Granny B pink sugar cookie size, and I'll say they're just as good! And the packaging worked out just as cute as it was in my head. I love it when that happens!


The fonts I used are 2Peas Mr. Giggles (I think it was $2?), Maiden Orange (free on dafont.com), Return to Sender (free on dafont.com), and Wish I Were Taller (free on kevinandamanda.com).

And here's the recipe:

MTC Sugar Cookies
(I call them that because this is the recipe I used when my sister and Joel's were in the MTC together)
from my Great-Aunt Valene Ferguson

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. margarine or shortening
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
7 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Cream butters. Add sugar, egg, sour cream, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Mix well after each addition. Chill 1 hour. Roll out and cut into desired shapes. Placed on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake or they won't stay soft!

Frosting -- not super technical, but this is how I make it:
1/2 c. butter, softened
splash of milk
dash of vanilla
powdered sugar
food coloring

Whip butter for a couple of minutes. Add milk, vanilla, food coloring and at least 1/2 a bag of powdered sugar. Keep adding powdered sugar and milk as needed to achieve desired consistency. Taste it and add a little butter if needed for flavor. Add more sugar and/or milk if needed. When everything is perfect, frost cookies.  If there is leftover frosting, add cocoa powder until it's nice and chocolatey and spread on graham crackers for a sweet treat that will remind you of your childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and try to respond to every one. Please let me know if you need clarification on something, want to know something, or especially if you LOVE something!